Our experience is your solution

Mohiliver St 6, Petah Tikva, 4906314, Israel


24/7 Customer Support

Sun - Thur: 9:00 - 17:30

Office opening time

law of return

The Law of return and family reunification

Apply for Israeli citizenship through the law of return 

What is the Law of Return? Israel passed the “Law of Return” (Aliyah) in 1948 that grants every Jewish person the right to repatriation (family reunification) and to live in Israel. According to the law of return, the person needs to have a Jewish background to apply for Israeli citizenship. No matter where they were born, they are eligible to obtain citizenship through this law.  

 These are the following options: Israeli citizenship or Permanent Residency, 

Temporary Residence and get a Work Permit using the Law of Return.

Who is eligible for repatriation to Israel?

  • Halakhic Jews – people born to a Jewish mother,
  • Children of Jews (so-called “paternal Jews”), 
  • The grandchildren of Jews (third generation). 

The law also applies to all spouses – wives of Jews, husbands of Jews, children, and grandchildren of Jews. Even Jewish widows and widowers of Jewish women, children, and grandchildren of Jews are entitled to repatriation.

Required documents;

  1. Birth certificates.
  2. Documents confirming changes in personal data
  3. Certificate of marital status;
  4. Certificate of absence/presence of a criminal past.
  5. The passport must be valid for at least one year from the application.
  6. Adoption or death certificate.

Note – All documents should be notarized in the applicant’s country.

Here, if you cannot prove your Jewish background:

Suppose there are no direct formal documents by which one can prove your Jewish roots. You can use any indirect evidence as proof such as genetic analysis, house books, military records, letters and personal photo albums, photos of graves, etc.


I would also like to note that a Jew who has converted to another religion already loses the right to repatriation. This refers to maternal Jews.

If your repatriation has problems, then it is better to contact the Israeli Ministry of Internal Affairs, and not the consulate at your place of residence, since this gives you full opportunity to use your legal rights and appeal the actions of officials, including an appeal to the courts.

We can assist at the outset of the process by helping you establish your eligibility for Aliyah under the Law of Return.

We can represent you before the relevant Israeli Government Departments, including the Ministry of Interior, until that you receive become an Israeli citizen and receive a passport. 

And advice regarding the different options in order to assist you in making a decision that is appropriate for your situation